Are you looking for a midweek meal that really packs a punch in the flavour stakes? This Zesty Chicken Stir Fry recipe delivers every time. It’s a joy to make as the sizzling aromas will transport you to somewhere far away from everyday Mama life.
This week Miss EEE has had her settling in at nursery and I am now fully engrossed back at work (albeit part time!). In all the chaos of trying to get our shizzle together we haven’t really had time to plan out meals and get a big shop done. Tonight, after a long day at my laptop I turned to this old favourite to unwind without too much effort.
We often have a roast chicken on a Sunday and the leftovers stretch for a good couple of meals. Tonight we used the last scraps of chicken paired with a selection of veggies in the fridge which needed rescuing and jazzing up. I love the waste not, want not mentality of this dish that gives some very humble ingredients a top notch makeover.
I like quite a high veg and chicken to noodle ratio but you can easily throw in more noodles if you prefer. Also, this is great with many different veg so experiment and mix it up! If you’re not a fan of anything too spicy hot then maybe rain check on the Sriracha…the Birdseye chilli alone delivers a nice heat that isn’t overpowering.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Serves: 2 adult portions
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut oil
- 4 Spring Onions finely chopped
- 1 Large Garlic Clove
- 1 Red Birdseye Chilli de-seeded & finely chopped
- 1cm Lump of Fresh Ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Lemongrass Stalk bashed with the back of a knife to release the delish flavours!
- 1 Pepper
- 8 Baby corns
- Quarter of a Head of Broccoli
- 2 Chicken Breasts – cooked in advance (or equivalent of leftover roast chicken pieces – I like to mix white and brown meat)
- Half a Teaspoon of Fish Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Reduced Salt Soy Sauce
- Juice and Zest of 2 Limes
- Half a Tablespoon of Sriracha Sauce (or any hot chilli sauce will do)
- 1 Nest of Udon Noodles (or dry noodles of your choice)
- Coriander & / or toasted peanuts to serve
- Put a pan of water on the hob to boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, in a wok or large pan, heat the Coconut oil over a high heat until melted.
- Throw in the Spring Onions, Garlic, Chilli, Ginger and Lemongrass stirring continuously so the ingredients don’t catch. This is where your kitchen comes alive with aroma!
- After about 1 minute add the vegetables to the wok and give a good coating in all the aromatic oil. The trick is to keep the heat high.
- By now your water should be boiling. Plunge the noodle nest in and cook as per packet instructions. They should only take about 3 minutes total to cook through.
- Break your chicken into large pieces and add to the pan.
- Drain your noodles and rinse with cold water to remove excess starch and avoid a gloopy mess. Set aside.
- In a small dish, mix together your Fish Sauce, Soy Sauce, Lime Juice, Lime Zest and Sriracha.
- When your chicken is heated through add the Lime Juice mixture to the wok and take care to coat every element. Use your wooden spoon to scrape any gnarly good bits from the bottom of the wok – the lime mix should release them slightly.
- Hunt down and remove the lemongrass stalk. It’s a bit of an inedible mouthful!
- Stir through your noodles taking care to ensure they are well distributed throughout the stir fry.
- Serve with a sprinkling of coriander if you have some or some toasted peanuts scattered over the top.